Friday, February 24, 2012

Computer Frustration

Today is Friday, February 24, 2012. The sun is shining and it is a beautiful day outside.
And I am so so very frustrated with getting onto my blog. Yesterday I had 30 minutes to spare after getting showered and dressed to go to the Temple. "A great time to write a blog, " I said to myself. I sat down at the computer, clicked on Favorites, went down to my blog. Clicked on it. Everything came up just right but when I tried to sign in, I couldn't. I clicked on all the right places. Then I had to reenter everything again and add those crazy little words. Well, my eyes aren't what they used to be. I was sure I typed in the right letters but another crazy word just kept appearing. I typed it in - I can't remember how many times - but too many. Then I got the message that they would send me an e-mail with instructions for getting onto my blog.
Well, by this time my 30 minutes was all used up and we went off to spend our afternoon at the Sacramento Temple. And I tried to not think
about my computer frustration.
Home about 5:30. I decided to eat supper before I checked on the crazy blog problem. Sure enough, there was an e-mail.. I followed everything it said. LOL that anything worked. Same old process as in the morning. Finally I gave up and went to my iPad to send a text.
Wouldn't you know it? Even that "computer" caused me problems. I put a new contact in the other day. (I read all the info in textplus, my texting program, followed the instruction and got this new "contact.") I pulled up the new number, typed my message and pushed send. Within two minutes I had two answers - but not from the person I sent the message to. What's up with that?
I totally understand better the Biblical description of "the great and terrible day of the Lord. " I love all the things computers can do and I consider them great. But some days nothing seems to work right and they are "TERRIBLE."
My biggest challenge is I can't figure out why they are frequently inconsistent. I am not a stupid person, I know that. And it seems to me if I do the same action, the computer ought to behave in the same way. But it doesn't. And "help" doesn't HELP very much either.
Okay, that was yesterday. Wednesday wasn't much better. We were working on Family History. I went to the PAF program to find my files. Guess what? I couldn't bring up my records. We went through a box of disks, found the last back up disk, put it in and got them on. Finally!! For some reason we had more than one back up disk. (I will take the blame for that.) And we did throw away 4 disks that seemed to bring up nothing on the computer. (Was that all we accomplished on Wednesday?) And the big problem is - we don't know that we learned anything. And for some reason I have dozens and dozens of duplicate names. Did I have more than one back-up on the same disk? Who knows? Anyway it has been two days of computer frustrations.
Now the big question is - Why, why, do the games all work right all of the time? It has to be a conspiracy of some sort. When I want to be productive - work on family history, or my blog, or e-mail, or something really constructive I am faced with challenge after challenge. Yet if I click on a game, it comes right up, everything works just right and I could play it forever without a hitch. Talk about temptation!!! Thankfully, I can resist spending hours with some silly game - leave the computer and go play the piano or sew or do dishes or sort pictures or write in my journal.
I am going to do more than one blog today - that is to make up for what happened to me yesterday. Yesterday I was planning to write a blog about my goals. I am going to do it today.
That is all I have to say about computer frustrations for the time being. It's going to be a great day.

No comments: