Tuesday, December 21, 2010

It's Almost Christmas

Today is Tuesday, December 21, 2010. It is too early in the morning to know if the sun will shine or not. It looks clear and cold - well, only 32 degrees cold. That is balmy compared to some days here in Nauvoo.
Last night we had a special family home evening with the Temple missionaries at the Mission President's beautiful home. The house was decorated beautifully. A tall Christmas tree decorated with handmade balls, each with a folded star design. There were several huge, and I do mean huge, pots of poinsettas. Magnificient!! And many other beautiful symbols of Christmas. Our Temple President presented a most interesting lesson. And our Temple Recorder sang "O Holy Night" to begin the whole affair. Oh, he has a marvelous voice.
An interesting part of the whole evening was that when I sat down, the Temple President asked if I would accompany "O Holy Night." He had practiced with the soloist (and he is a wonderful pianist) but didn't want to be the "whole show." Oh, my!! Well, I looked at the music and said I would. Then I prayed like crazy. It was in a good key to read - B Flat Major. And after all, I am very familiar with that song - having sung and played it many times myself. But I felt some pressure. It went quite well, I thought. Probably not as beautiful as it was practiced but at least I didn't feel like I made a total mess of it. The soloist is so good I think nobody noticed much what I did. And I got to play the lovely grand piano. It is a gorgeous looking instrument as well as having a fine touch and grand sound. Wow! That will be my Christmas treat for 2010.
We have spoken much about the birth of Jesus Christ over these days in December - in Sacrament Meeting as well as in Preparation Meetings in the Temple each day. The Prophet Joseph Smith was born in Vermont on December 23, two days before the world celebrates the birth of the Savior. We learned some special things about him with this Family Home Evening Lesson. The President read Joseph's testimony from the Pearl of Great Price. He told about an extremely well educated man who said that when he read that testimony, he knew that Joseph was not a charleton. That he was a humble truthful man, sharing his special experience with God the Father, and His Son, Jesus Christ. I am very grateful that I have a testimony that he did tell the truth. And I am so grateful for all the feeling that I have for the restoration of the Gospel to the earth in this dispensation of time.
After the touching lesson, the Mission President's wife shared a favorite part of every family home evening, the refreshments. Yummy "apple blossoms" with ice cream. And there was much visiting before we all headed for our humble little apartments.
The beginning of this week has been joyous. Sacrament Meeting on Sunday with the songs and stories of Jesus's birth and mission. And the privilege to partake of the Sacrament. Then this special family home evening. Now we look forward to two days to be in the Temple, another day at the Information Center, caroling on the Temple steps on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day Dinner with all the missionaries in Nauvoo. It will be a special Christmas. We all will miss families, of course. Will they miss us? Probably, but Glen and I are much closer than the Christmas we spent in India and the Christmas we spent in Greece. Phone calls and e-mails are much easier.
I just have to add the words of one of our family caroling songs -
C is for the Christ Child, born upon this day.
H for herald angels in the night.
R means our Redeemer,
I means Israel.
S is for the star that shone so bright.
T is for three wise men, they who traveled far.
M is for the manger where He lay.
A's for all He stands for.
S means shepherds came.
And that's why there's a Christmas Day!

That's all for today.

No comments: