Friday, March 27, 2009

Post Surgery

Today is Friday, March 27, 2009. The sun is shining brightly and it makes me feel so-o-o good.
Seventeen days since my surgery. I debated writing about my stay in the hospital. It certainly was different than my hospital stay with the right knee. Oh, my, the stories I have to tell! Then I had to laugh at myself. Me, the one who always chuckles about how much people like to talk about their surgeries and their hospital experiences! Well, now I have some of my own to tell. Curiously enough, if anyone seemed interested I would regale them with the stories. But as yet, I haven't decided to blog about it. Not just now.
I finished THE QUILT yesterday. It is with joy - and sadness, too. Now I have no purpose for struggling to get out of the recliner to sew more stitches in. It's done. Of course, I think it looks beautiful. Our children say I need to take pictures and post them on the blog. I will soon. Well, Glen will take the pictures and I will post them. He is so proud of me, after all these years of taking it out of the box, savoring each sampler square, folding it all neatly and putting it back in the box. I'm pleased myself.
I got to thinking about other quilts I have made in the meantime. I made a big quilt for Betty Lindsay, who was the State PTA President. It had become sort of a tradition to give the outgoing President a memory quilt. No one in the District President's group seemed ready to tackle it. Even though I was one of the least experienced at quilt making, I took on the job. It was really fun. Each of the District Presidents made a square. We found out that Betty's favorite color was yellow and I started the work of putting it together.
I remember I filled 4 or 5 bobbins at a time so that I could just keep sewing when the bobbin ran out. Wonder if I can find a picture of it? I know I have one somewhere. I wonder if she enjoys the quilt as much as I enjoyed making it for her.
I have several quilt tops pieced together. I suppose I should get the backing and get them finished, too. None is as special as this sampler quilt, though. Each square brings back the memory of that class I took at college. The teacher knew our children who worked in the fabric store where she purchased all her supplies. She thought I was a great mother because she loved my children so much. And I loved the techniques she taught me.
The girls keep teasing me about the next one I am going to start. Who knows? Maybe I will surprise them - and myself - and start another one while I am recuperating from this knee surgery. It gives me some purpose.
The knee is doing well. The therapist is pleased with my range of motion and I am pleased that I have reduced the pain pills I take each day. I am a little concerned about how I will manage the organ this week. Marilyn, my sub, leaves town on Saturday to stay with her mother in Salt Lake. I could get one of the girls to play the piano. We'll see.
I went to a farewell luncheon on Tuesday. Tonight we are going to an anniversary celebration at the American River Institute and tomorrow we are going to Ray and Mary Higgenbotham's 50th wedding anniversary party. We will see how I manage those affairs. Then I will make a definite decision about Sunday. I told the group on Tuesday, "Well, now that I have been to a party, I guess I'd better go to Church."
That's all for today.

No comments: