Saturday, December 12, 2009

It's Nearly Christmas

Today is Saturday, December 12, 2009. It rained last night and it is cloudy this morning. Not as cold as the last two mornings but still feels pretty chilly to me.
I just read some blogs this morning ( I know I am very late reading, but ---) from family members talking about gratitude and Thanksgiving memories. I have to say thank you for the kind remarks about your "Mom." However, I can't take all the credit. Most things that happen around our place could not happen without the wonderful help and willingness of my wonderful husband, Glen. And all those things that used to go on when all of the nine children were young was due to their willingness to help with whatever project I got them involved in - like 5000 (that's right, 5000 !) Sierra Junior High Cookbooks and numerous Ward and Stake activities, PTA carnivals, and yes, feeding 30 to 40 people on Thankgiving. Add to that visiting and singing at rest homes, and a dozen other things. So, MY thanks to all of you. You are a wonderful part of my life. (There might be a tear drop or two on this page.)
I could write pages and pages about Thanksgiving and Christmas. I wonder where I will begin and where I will stop for this post. OK - the tree is up and looks beautiful. I love to have the lights turned on and just savor its beauty. No theme tree for me. I love touching each ornament and remembering where it came from and the flood of memories some bring to mind - the olive wood carvings we got when we were in Bethlehem and Jerusalem, the decorations hand made by children and freinds and even me, Mother's yarn dolls, the ornaments I bought on sale for a quarter, and the colored foil balls that came 10 for a dollar. Just to mention a few. Oh, I almost forgot - my grand piano. I don't remember for sure who gave that one to me. And the bead bells. That year we made hundreds of them - gave most of them away as gifts. Mostly to the Music Belles. Anyway, I don't intend to have a theme tree.
The mantle looks lovely with lighted decoration I bought a couple of years ago - pine boughs, gold pine cones, and lights. The piano has the large nativity set carved from olive wood. I've put out most of the other nativity sets which I am collecting now. One of my favorites is the one we bought in Athens when we were there on our mission.
I haven't gone into the "construction business" yet. The Christmas village is still upstairs in boxes. I need to get to it soon.
I am so grateful for the season which reminds us all of the birth of the Savior so long ago in Bethlehem. I love all the songs about it. Once again this year we have invited all our friends to come for Family Home Evening on December 21 for Christmas caroling. A wonderful gal made us new copies of the carols, all neat and clean and with nice pictures. (I will put the old, battered, well used ones in recycling.) We love that time with friends and it certainly is easier than getting in and out of the car. Besides, this way we get to sing for more people. The family keeps a few special songs that we perform for our guests. And we also get to use the resonator bells that Glen made for me so many years ago. It's a wonderful evening for me. I hope others enjoy it. We wish you all could come to be with us that night.
Just in case I don't post again before Christmas - Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!
That's all for today.

No comments: