Wednesday, April 9, 2008

New Dessert

Have you ever tried tres leches cake? Oh my, what a fun dessert! I am forever cutting recipes out of magazines and newspapers. And when the article is about one item with several variations I usually keep them all. Well, this week, I finally tried one from a newspaper article I've had about two years. Tres Leches Cake. There were three basic recipes. One called for 5 cups of heavy cream. I decided to use the variation that called for only 1 cup of heavy cream. The cake called for 4 eggs with the other usual cake ingredients. Most cakes I bake use just 2 eggs. After you bake the cake and let it cool for 10 minutes you poke holes about 1/2 inch apart and pour a milk mixture of heavy cream, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla over the cake. (It's better if you do that in about two pourings.) That cake absorbs all that mixture. Put it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Just before serving frost with whipped cream. Talk about ambrosia! It was a great treat.
It is best when it is just newly made. Invite a few friends over to finish it off at the first setting. Yum! Yum! I will share the exact recipe if you are interested.

No comments: